Friday 29 June 2012

Swimming,cycling, scavenging - not in that order


So I am newly energised for this blog and intend (once again) to stick with the Friday update patterns. This week’s main event was the Summer Scavenger Hunt with the meetup group I joined. Basically we had 33 tasks/photos to get around the city. Some were very specific: “Get a picture of this sign”; some required chutzpah: “A team member hugging a donut shop employee”; others just paying attention: “Grafitti without words”.

It was quite an active week – I spent Saturday at Toronto Island cycling for about three hours. The island is beautiful and peaceful and I think I might just go every weekend. It’s kind of like heading to the country, but instead it’s just a ferry ride away, complete with beaches for swimming!  So between that, walking for four hours on Saturday, and playing volleyball on Monday I could barely move on Tuesday, but it was well worth it.

Were you just thinking “I wonder what Catie’s been reading, lately.”? I know, I heard you.

This week I read a couple books but the highlight was Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? And Other Concerns, by Mindy Kaling. She’s a writer and actor for the US version of The Office and she’s really funny. Same kind of category as Bossypants, by Tina Fey and How to Be a Woman, by Caitlin Moran (both also highly recommended, especially if you have two X chromosomes.)

And the other book I read this week was The Magician King, by Lev Grossman. If you read Narnia as a kid this series (first book is The Magicians) is highly recommended. It’s an almost satirical take on your standard fantasy tropes, which manages to be funny, realistic and still gripping and thrilling.

Work had a big re-launch this week, now our site is called HRM Online instead of HR Daily. There are reasons, but the reasons don’t really matter. What matters is that I had to work really hard and then I felt like I needed a break but I didn’t have a break… However, this weekend is a long weekend so I’ll be sleeping late and maybe catching the Pride Parade on Sunday.

And final exciting news: I’m going to New York in September, meeting a friend from NZ so am currently in the planning stages. Any tips or advice, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment