Wednesday 18 January 2012

Books, Bell and Boots + Bonus book review!

I had my first big snow this week! It was exciting. I think maybe I don't hate snow as long as it remains like this - light, fluffy, not too disruptive. I shovelled the pathway to the front door, a novel experience. Not too difficult but probably quite good exercise if I had more of it to do.

My pile of books has shrunk somewhat - I've read six since I last saw you all. Most were exceptional, but reading so many so quickly is probably not the best way to do them justice. Mum has convinced me to start a file on my desktop of how many books I've read and while the last months' lists are somewhat incomplete it will be interesting to go back over them and see what patterns I end up finding.

I've applied for yet another seven (ish?) jobs in the last five days and still don't hear back for interviews. It's off putting but I'm still thinking positive. I have a few more months before money gets tight, and I'm enjoying getting to know the city. If it comes to the worst I'll turn to retail to plug the gap!

Had a great day today. I finally sorted out my phone so now I just pay a bill once a month and get free incoming calls (including international, so, you know, call me!). This country is slightly ridiculous in that people pay to receive calls. I know, right? I worked out that I've owned ten phones, in five countries on four continents and this is the only place with that system. Still, got amazing service at Bell so might have to make sure they get praised. I also shopped for waterproof boots but was indecisive so I still don't own any... Then dinner with a friend and now home to play with my fun new phone. It looks fancy, but is, in fact, quite cheap. But still loads better than my other one.

And today I'm trying something new: a book review of The House of Silk, by Anthony Horowitz. Because the entertainment world can't help but embrace bandwagons this is a new Sherlock Holmes mystery. In the past few years we've seen new "Robert Ludlum" books, a sixth Hitchhiker's Guide book and The Wheel of Time series being completed, all after the original author's death, some authorised and some driven by what I can only describe as hubris.

I'm a big fan of the Sherlock Holmes stories. Many I've read more than once, and I've whole-heartedly enjoyed both the Guy Ritchie and BBC recent re-imaginations so I was open-minded but apprehensive about reading the novel. Overall I was impressed. The story opens with Watson reminiscing about his friend Holmes and their adventures, telling the reader there is one last story to tell, which could not be told at the time. The House of Silk is a conspiracy worthy of Holmes and Doyle, and draws in many of the patterns and themes of the original stories. Starting with the destruction of four paintings and an art auctioneer being stalked, the death of a thief and a young boy, and taking a jaunt through an opium den for old times' sake it takes a long time for these threads to weave together but it was fun to watch them start to connect. I haven't read anything else by Anthony Horowitz, but would be more likely to try his other work now.

At times I forgot I wasn't reading something contemporary to the time, although this was usually broken by character's expressing views more modern than their time - a common difficulty for modern writers setting a novel in "olden days". They want somehow to show that their characters were good, forward-thinking people, but in fact succeed only in breaking the spell they've cast of London in the 1890s.

So if you liked the originals, or have only seen the films or TV show I'd recommend this. It has enough "in jokes" for fans of Doyle, without, I think, spoiling any of the stories for those who haven't read his work. And if the epilogue is overly sentimental we can probably forgive the author, as long as he doesn't draw the whole thing out with yet another novel next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment