Thursday 23 February 2012

Better late...

Sorry to leave y'all hanging after last week's cliffhanger ending and then be late with this week's update... The answer is:

I got the job!

It was not quite that straight forward, and in fact I had quite a low moment when I was certain I hadn't gotten the job (build up of expectation can be quite risky) but it turned out the hesitation on their end was in changing the job description to better suit my background. Essentially now I'm a junior reporter for both the magazines (Canadian Real Estate Wealth and Canadian Mortgage Professional) rather than an intermediate reporter for just the first one. It's a better fit for me, and will give me the chance to learn a lot with plenty of support and mentoring.

This is, of course, a huge relief. I'm happy to be staying in journalism, but with more regular hours than daily papers. I've felt in limbo the last few months - no money coming in, no reason to go to bed or get out of bed, little structure to my days. I've had that song "Waiting for my real life to begin" going around my head for weeks... So now it can! I'll be able to find my own place eventually and stop freaking out about spending money. I'm already planning my payday shopping spree (within reason, I promise!) and hopefully Mastercard will increase my credit limit to more than $100. That's not even enough for a decent Book Depository run ;)

In other Too Good To Be True - But It Is! news, Peggy and Mum are visiting. It's very exciting. Peggy and I travelled for six weeks last year, but haven't lived together for almost two years so it's neat to see we still connect the same way. Today she made me snort cucumber up my nose when she told a story about me accidentally beheading a barbie doll years and years ago. We did Christmas too, because we couldn't be together in December and we're flexible like that. It appeared to be the Christmas of books and music, because everyone got a book and Peggy and I both got CDs (Florence and the Machine, The Baseballs, and Gin Wigmore) so we've been listening to fun new music the last couple days.

Tomorrow the plan is the science centre, then Hamilton to visit the famn damily. I'm trying to wrangle a girly spa day for Saturday.

So today we're celebrating employment and family, but probably not in that order ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment