Friday 2 March 2012

First work week

Gosh – I’m getting really bad at this! When I was unemployed Wednesday seemed like a great day to choose, but now I keep missing it. Blame Peggy – she’s very distracting!

So I’ve now completed my first almost-week (four days) of work. It’s been a slow start because both the magazines I’m working for are almost done this month so my real workload won’t hit until next week or the week after. I’ve written a few news stories, some for the mags and some for the websites (www.mortgagebrokernews.ca and www.canadianrealestatemagazine.ca). My direct supervisors are nice, and quite funny, so it’s pretty relaxed so far. The only weird thing is that each magazine has a different style so that’s going to do my head in for a while until I get used to it. It is odd having to get up every morning, and I'm quite tired. I'll have to adjust to being a working person again!

Outside work I’ve had a lovely week. We headed to Hamilton for the weekend – had a family card game Friday night and a family photo shoot on Sunday so hopefully we’ll get a couple nice Nobettes portraits from that. Mum and Peggy and I went to a play on Tuesday night called Penny Plain, that was almost entirely marionettes. It’s this one amazing puppeteer, Ronnie Burkett, who puts together a politically and globally relevant show about once a year that sells out. He’s quite well known here, and deservedly so. The show was stunning, although I was occasionally distracted from the theme and plot by just how skilled he was with the puppets themselves. Some moved so naturally, and they even hugged and nodded and limped… It was very impressive.

Peggy and I went out for dinner last night to a Nepalese restaurant on Bloor that was delicious and I brought home what was left for my lunch today but I forgot it at home, which was quite sad, BUT the advantage of family visiting is that they might love you enough to deliver it to you :). Tomorrow we’re going to a “dub” event where “Youngsta” is performing… As you know this is really my kind of event with the noise and the crowds and the noise. Ha… no, I’m sure it will be fun, and we can leave early if need be. My cousins are going and are quite excited so it will be great to hang out with them, regardless of the rest.
Aaaand that might be it. I’m reading an excellent/odd book at the moment called There But For The, which is really interesting. It’s about a man who locks himself into the guest room of a house when he’s at a dinner party and just stays there for weeks. But really, it’s about the people around him, with this strange event at the centre as a starting point for the story. Don’t remember the author, but I would recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment