Friday 30 March 2012

Fam damily, games, shoes and shopping

Hello! Sorry about the two week delay. Since no one complained I’m going to assume no one reads this (except Peggy). Not too surprised by that – if only I had a second career as a stripper or a secret life as a super-hero I would be exponentially more interesting.

The reason I missed last Friday is that I thought I wrote it! It started with St Patrick’s day (friends, wine, tequila, dancing) then moved on to the surreal experience of taking an educational walk the day after (whose idea was that?!). The walk was interesting enough, but the highlight was definitely one of the people telling stories. I just wanted to shrink him down and put him on my desk so I could ask him important questions. He was like a stretched version of the main character from Up, but with the added geekiness of extended knowledge about 1920s Toronto.

Peggy’s been in and out of Toronto for the last week, but last weekend we both made it north with our cousins to visit our aunt and uncle and grandparents. It’s always good to see them, and the feast was certainly laid out. We had home-made perogies, plus cake and cream puffs. With the cousins we visited my grandmother, who’s been in a home for more than a year. She’s doing okay physically now, although she is wheelchair bound, but it’s always sad to see her struggle to remember our names and ages. It’s a distant person from the woman who raved about her first stolen kiss from her husband of 60 years, and loved Frank Sinatra. At least I’m getting this time to see her.

We saw the Hunger Games on Monday – it was quite good and fairly true to the book but to keep their violence rating down they used that shaky camera thing in all the fight scenes. I’d have liked to see just one of the scenes be a proper fight where you could follow who was who and really fear for the characters. Also, that shaking makes me feel sick (I’m looking at you: whoever directed Bourne #2).

Wednesday I went to a shoe launch. Yes, I know. It was very strange – all the shop people had to rave about this new line of ugly, plastic, scented shoes while we drank free wine and ate little nibbley things. Fun times had by all ;)

And now this weekend I’m moving! Freedom, finally. Job, apartment, friends, life, yes? I have to do a big shop tomorrow for furniture etc. and then another shop because I don’t have any food and then I’ll have no money again so I’ll live on brown rice and broccoli for two weeks. That’s healthy, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment