Friday 4 May 2012

Money money money...


How come I feel like I have less money and I’m more worried than when I was unemployed?

So I’m two months and four paydays into my new job and somehow it feels like I have less money to play with and am more stressed than when I was unemployed at the start of the year.

Well, actually, it’s probably true. Here’s why.

  •               Thanks to the generosity of a family friend, I was living rent free for four months. Now I have more income, absolutely, but my rent has increased, well, an infinite amount…
  •                 I’d planned to move after working for two months, so I could save up first and last rent and some cash for furniture etc. Instead, I found a great apartment exactly where I wanted to be living within a couple weeks of starting work, and moved in after just a month of work. It’s great, but I basically sped myself out of $750.
  •                    As for the apartment… Well, I worked out how much I could afford a month all inclusive and then I found an apartment that was $50 extra. That amount isn’t a lot, it’s less than $12 a week, and I still think it’s worth it but when every dollar counts $12 a week is four coffees.
  •                   Toronto is an expensive city. I read that people who  spend money on events are happier than people who spend on stuff. Well, I’m still sleeping on a mattress on the floor and I haven’t bought anything new except running shoes in months but I’ve been so social lately that it’s added up rapidly.

I’m not broke, but I’m used to having money left over, so if I saw clothes or jewellery or a book I wanted it wasn’t a big deal to say yes. Now it is a big deal, but it makes me think more, anticipate more and enjoy my purchases more. It also motivates me to get the most out of every purchase. I’m very much prioritising people over stuff so I’ve got lots of weekend plans, have joined a volleyball team and plan to attend a music festival in July… now I just have to make sure I can afford all those activities!

P.S. Just tried a “Butterfinger” chocolate bar for the first time… that has to be dentists’ least recommended chocolate bar! Not sure it’ll replace Snickers anytime soon, but I still miss Picnic bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment