Friday 11 November 2011

Alesandra and Ryan Gosling

 Weird start to my day -- I got two texts and a phone call before 8am to wish Alesandra happy birthday. From different numbers so either Alesandra's been giving out the wrong number, or my number is eerily close to hers. So that was a new way to wake up, which resulted in the sort of broken-sleep confusion where your alarm goes and you pick up your phone and say "Hello?".

Hemingway's (the New Zealand/Australian themed restaurant) was not at all tacky, which was only marginally disappointing :) It was very crowded and had NZ signs around the place but I'm not sure how authentic it was. No NZ beer and only a handful of NZ wines? That doesn't sound like home! So I had an Argentinian red with my fajitas. The menu was full of  traditional New Zealand fare like Thai chicken salad, curried lamb, nachos and jambalaya. For those not familiar with antipodean cuisine, I'm not really being sarcastic. NZ may not have its own homogeneous culinary history but it has embraced the food of every immigrant to arrive. Company was as good as the food, and the three of us saw Ides of March afterwards.

I guess now I understand the plethora of Ryan Gosling memes, but I wasn't as impressed as I expected. As a story of a man losing his idealism it was well presented, and the acting was impeccable, but George Clooney used it a bit too much as a platform for his own political beliefs for me to relax into the story. No new combustion engine cars ten years from now? In America? Whoosh - pulled me right out of the plot. So I'd say rent it. Phillip Seymour Hoffman was fantastic, as always.

Tonight I head to Ottawa to catch up with some friends there - can't wait! Maybe I'll find myself a government job and forget about the whole media shebang. Ha. Unlikely. Besides, Ottawa doesn't have a subway and I would miss that.


Oh, and yesterday I received a "You might be interested email" inviting me to join the Toronto Expressive Dance Group. Can't wait. I hope we get to be butterflies, that was the best part of jazz class.

No comments:

Post a Comment