Friday 25 November 2011

No news is still no news

There is a specific stress related to applying for jobs that has nothing to do with the boredom/poverty of unemployment or the fear of rejection. I'm calling it No News Hysteria and symptoms include:

1. Obsessively checking your phone, making sure you have it, that it's on, that it's working and that the volume on the ringer is high enough to hear it.

2. Repeatedly checking emails to see if you've had a reply, even a rejection so there'd be one less job to wonder about, and also referring to the sent emails to see when you sent in your application. "Twelve days. Does that mean I didn't get the job? Or are they just slow?"

3. Running to the phone when it rings, and being more-than-normally annoyed at the fact that it's always someone selling something.

So that's where I'm at. Still applying for jobs, still making contact with editors (which feels more like knocking on walls than knocking on doors right now) and still waiting to hear back about jobs I applied for two weeks ago.

On the upside, I went to the Bata Shoe Museum and out for dinner last night so I believe I can say with confidence that I have made my first friend in Toronto. Tomorrow night I go ice skating with strangers so maybe I'll be able to add to that number.

No comments:

Post a Comment