Thursday 10 November 2011

Routine and exploration

I'm trying something new, starting today. I've moved my computer downstairs so I can't just grab it while I'm still in bed and start browsing job sites/reading news/updating Facebook. The theory is that if I can make myself feel like I'm going to go do my "job" (i.e. job hunting) then I'll be more structured about it and get more done. I can work for a few hours in the morning, then go explore something of the city before returning to do more follow up as necessary.

Yesterday I went on a hunt to fing Crafted by Te Aro, a New Zealand owned cafe where I can order a "long black" and not get confusion in response. I imagine you could also order a flat white and maybe even a fluffy for the kids, but mostly it was just a really nice, relaxed cafe that did indeed feel like it leapt out of Wellington. The coffee was marginally disappointing, mostly because I'd built it up in my mind and expected The Best Coffee on Earth and instead got an okay, leaning towards mediocre, black coffee. Regardless, it was worth the trip to read my paper and people watch.

It's west of downtown so I walked along Queen Street past Little Portugal and up Bathurst through Korea Town and have decided if I ever have a job and therefore could find my own place to live then that's the vicinity I'd want to live it. It doesn't feel as polished as the area I'm in (which I think is a bit posh) but it's full of cafes, vintage stores and boutiques. Definitely keen to return, and might start browsing housing options in the area as motivation! Staying with Faith is really easy, she is relaxed and undemanding, so it would be a bit too easy to just stay here indefinitely.

Tonight I'm going to a New Zealand-themed restaurant with a couple people studying here so I will fill you in next time on just what exactly "NZ themed" means. It's actually New Zealand AND Australian themed, apparently so I suspect there will be a kiwi/kangaroo motif going on and we might even get a really culturally sensitive combination such as Maori chants alternating with didgeridoo music. I an genuinely looking forward to it ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment