Sunday 6 November 2011

There's good stuff too, I promise

Sometimes in the confusion, miscommunication (No Ottawa, not Oshawa!) and red tape I forget that new places are fun so while this entry is partly aimed at showing you all that I don't have to whine every day, it's also going to remain here permanently to remind me that this was a good move to a cool place with great things to see and do.

Last night (Saturday) I got to go to the symphony! I'm staying with Faith, and her son Ira had "somehow acquired" two tickets to Dvořák & Mendelssohn, part of the “casual concerts” series. It was lovely,. Can't say I'm knowledgeable but I always enjoy classical music when I stumble across it. Even recognised part from Fantasia. Thanks Disney. It was lovely to get out and see something of the city at night – something I should do more of.

During daylight hours I've been working my way up St Clair West, the main road near where I'm staying, and stopping at cafes, bakeries and shops along the way. It's basically vital to my existence to find good cafes. I was terrified Starbucks and Second Cup would be my only options and I'd spend my life in Toronto drinking bad tea. Instead last week I found a winner. It's called Noir (but not 50s detective themed – small disappointment) and had a whole wall of choices for tea, and comfy armchairs. I sat reading my book for about half an hour, enjoying the warm and the people watching and the Keemun Panda tea. No pandas harmed in the making of.

Add it to a couple used bookstores and tea shops I found walking home earlier in the week, plus three secondhand stores within blocks of home, and I'll be able to keep up all my habits. (I'm currently reading Trainspotting so tea, used clothes and books sound like really boring habits...)

I've been looking at book clubs and young professional groups too. I was tempted to join some of the weirder ones as blog-fodder so if at some point in the future I start talking about attending a meeting of the “I <3 God, Coffee and Yoga” group (capitalisations theirs, not mine) you'll know I've run out of things to write about.

1 comment:

  1. I got lost. You try googling "taking Toronto Caitlin" and see the miriad not you blogs out there! There are a lot of Caitlins in Toronto that you should meet. They sound interesting. Not as interesting as you though. Momb

    ReplyDelete