Sunday 20 November 2011

Life's The Beach

Best. Group. Ever. No really: Black Hippies Toronto. I got an email yesterday...

So Thursday/Friday I sent out more applications and cold-called some newspapers. Despite talking myself up to it (What's the worst that will happen? They say no... So what?) it's hard to cold call the people who will decide whether or not you work in your field of choice again. Unfortunately it's also hard to reach editors of big papers so I left a lot of messages and will have to repeat the whole exercise if they don't get back to me. Then I ate six biscuits, two spoons of peanut butter and an apple so it's hard to know what caused the nausea ;)

Talked to Mum that night -- she's very sensible plus works with crazy people all day so that improved my mood.

Saturday I spent four hours walking through Eastern Toronto, The Beach, Leslieville, Riverside... I took the street car out and planned to get it back, too, but ended up walking all the way home. It was great, another area I could see myself living in. Yeah yeah, job first. Whatever. I stopped for coffee, browsed a couple op shops (thrift stores), saw the river. Ran into the Occupy Toronto crowd marching and yelling on Queen St. It was kind of fun, especially since they were right outside Toronto's city mall. The juxtaposition of consumerism and activism entertained me.

So it's been a lot of "me" time this weekend -- I need to make friends before I get crazy egocentric. Next weekend I have my first meeting of one of the groups I joined so by this time next week I'll be the popular kid again ;)

I also might make it to the Bata Shoe Museum this week with a girl I know, which is only going to taunt me because I'll want to go all Imelda after that and my budget really can't manage three hundred pairs of shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment